Who needs to see a vascular surgeon?
A vascular surgeon is a highly trained physician who manages patients with all forms of vascular disease, so almost any patient might have occasion to see such a specialist. This includes:
- Patients with aneurysms in almost any location in the chest, abdomen, or extremities.
- Patients with varicose veins, spider veins, or leg ulcers caused by venous disease.
- Patients with peripheral arterial disease (PAD), whether symptoms are minor or more threatening to the leg.
- Many patients with carotid disease or blockage will see a vascular surgeon for stroke prevention and treatment.
- Patients with kidney failure require dialysis access procedures, also provided by vascular surgeons.
Vascular surgeons are the only professionals who can offer all forms of treatment to this wide-ranging group of patients.